Monday, August 21, 2017

Burning Adventures

Hello everyone! I will be heading to Burning Man in the Black Rock Desert at the end of this week :o

I'll be away for about 11 days and I'm both nervous and excited about my future experience!

The only thing that I'm expecting right now is a long travel time and a lot of dust ... and from what I'm hearing there was some rain so the dust is more clay than dust. But I expect there to be plenty in the time I'm there.

So what is burning man? Well its hard to describe because there are so many interpretations of it. It comes down to the experience you have while you are on the playa (a desert basin with no outlet which periodically fills with water to form a temporary lake).


You can find many pictures, stories, hype, a range of experiences, and all types of people and backgrounds who have something to share about what Burning Man is to them.

There are many videos and documentaries about individual experiences and many expectations of those who have never attended.

The 10 Principals of Burning Man are declared as the foundation of the event
  1. Radical Inclusion
  2. Gifting
  3. Decommodification
  4. Radical Self-reliance
  5. Radical Self-expression
  6. Communal Effort
  7. Civic Responsibility
  8. Leaving No Trace
  9. Participation
  10. Immediacy
I'm curious how these principals will be expressed, ignored, shared, or forgotten by the participants at the event.

With such a large group of people I'm doing what I can to expect nothing while enjoying whatever experience I have.

I'll be staying with Tango'd Up in Blues (TUIB) at Center Camp & 4:45 if you are attending this year. There should be some fun dance and music if that is what you are into!

*Update*

I think I'm mostly ready as far as supplies go! I've added a few pictures of what I'm bringing on the flight to Reno! Two checked bags and one backpack.

I can include my packing list if there is interest, there are about 70 or 80 different items in my bags. I'm hoping it is enough for me to survive for the week.




No comments:

Post a Comment